Saturday, July 10, 2010

change of tongue?

i find myself saying some things in English that are literally translated from Spanish, but they are things that i would never say a year ago. this is hard to explain. but for example:

"dime algo" means like, "tell me what you think," or maybe even better, "let me know." but literally, it means, "tell me something." so sometimes i will just say "tell me something!" when i am talking. it's not that awkward, but still i never said it before.

another one:
i will say "mas o menos" at all times, even when talking English. it just means "kind of." sometimes i will even mess up my English sentences because when you translate them literally, the words are in different order. so i will say something like, "at the beach, there also is restaurants." or, "how it is?" instead of, "how is it?"

some other things i have noticed, only because my sister told me this one:
when i ask questions, i state them instead and then end with a, no? as in: "you have been there many times, no?"
and since she told me that, i also notice i say Spanish noises, like ay and ufff, which they always say. like instead of ugh. also, when i am typing online, when i laugh i say, jaja, instead of, haha. swearing is also more fun in Spanish because i feel like i'm not swearing at all :)
also, they say yes and no like three times each, never just once. so now i do that, even in English.

i don't know, it's all strange and weird but it's funny to me. i am getting better, and the coolest thing is that Catalan is getting easier to read! i can make out most things. and some foods i don't even know in Spanish but in Cataln i do, since everything at the groceries are labeled in Catalan. i hope i can go home and speak normal. broken English is only cool if you have an accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment